Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I offset the amount of my wife's refund against the amount I owe?

So the file I am using has both my first name and that of my wife, i.e. "Bob&Alice". I owe $1,592 and my wife has a refund coming of $1,310. I thought I could offset my wife's refund against my taxes payable but the program seems to indicate that I have to pay the full amount and separately claim a refund for my wife. By the way, I spent 35 minutes this AM in a phone queue then another 20 minutes while put on hold by the "expert" who finally answered my call. I gave up and now, if I try the "contact us" option it simply hangs. Intuit customer service is, apparently, non-existent any more.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Sorry, you can't do this.  TurboTax is correct.  Although you may have prepared your returns together, you are in fact filing two separate returns.  There is no such thing as a joint return in Canada.  As such,  these are considered 2 separate accounts and CRA does not permit you to offset your balance due against your wife's refund or vice versa

View solution in original post

3 Replies
fuzzy

Sorry, you can't do this.  TurboTax is correct.  Although you may have prepared your returns together, you are in fact filing two separate returns.  There is no such thing as a joint return in Canada.  As such,  these are considered 2 separate accounts and CRA does not permit you to offset your balance due against your wife's refund or vice versa

reinhard

It should be made clear by TurboTax that amount shown at top right corner is combination of two accounts which have to be paid and/or credited separately.

Has this changed from last year, as I did not have to pay even though i owed and she received a refund