Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

T2202a form

Hi, I am confused about the T2202a form. I am a student in college, I don't understand about fixing the tax credit to my parents. what does that mean? do I give them money or do I get money or do we get it both? I mean refund

1 Reply

T2202a form

The information on the T2202 is needed to apply for the federal Tuition Amount, and to transfer tuition amounts if you are eligible. It may also be used to determine if you qualify for other credits. The T2202 information is also used to apply for provincial/territorial tuition and education credits, which differ around the country.

The tuition credit is a non-refundable credit. This means that it can only be used to lower or eliminate the your federal/provincial tax bill but can’t generate a refund.

Any unused tuition credit can be carried forward to a future tax year, or transferred to a spouse/common-law partner or parent/grandparent. Again, any transferred tuition can only be used to reduce the amount of taxes owing, so keep that in mind when deciding if (and how much) you are going to transfer. This FAQ tells you how to transfer unused tuition credits to someone else: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/family-education/help/how-do-i-transfer-my-unused-tui...