Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I work as an independent consultant, where I bill the customer (it's a non profit) for services.

I am essentially doing full time work, and want to ensure I fill out my taxes correctly  I will be working all year again for them this year, and want to ensure I still pay into CPP, and any other needed items.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Sally71

I work as an independent consultant, where I bill the customer (it's a non profit) for services.

If you are reporting self employment income the software will automatically calculate CPP on self employment income by generating Schedule 8: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/5000-s8/README.html 

You need to watch for the following lines numbers used self employment / contractor income:

- Line 222:Deduction for CPP or QPP contributions on self-employment and other earnings-(attach Schedule 8 or Form RC381, whichever applies) - page 2 of the T1 general form

- Line 308: CPP contributions (non refundable credit); schedule 1 form and

- Line 421: CPP contributions payable on self-employment and other earnings (attach Schedule 8 or Form RC381, whichever applies) - page 4 of the T1 general form

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Sally71

If you are reporting self employment income the software will automatically calculate CPP on self employment income by generating Schedule 8: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/5000-s8/README.html 

You need to watch for the following lines numbers used self employment / contractor income:

- Line 222:Deduction for CPP or QPP contributions on self-employment and other earnings-(attach Schedule 8 or Form RC381, whichever applies) - page 2 of the T1 general form

- Line 308: CPP contributions (non refundable credit); schedule 1 form and

- Line 421: CPP contributions payable on self-employment and other earnings (attach Schedule 8 or Form RC381, whichever applies) - page 4 of the T1 general form

Thank you.  So turbo tax will calculate it for me it sounds like.  I must have done something wrong the first time through then!  I will have to look at it again.  I think I entered my income in the wrong place.  It was wages paid to me, so does that go under profits?  I will have to start from scratch again, I think!