Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
karenh2

Tools for apprentices. Do I have to fill out the bottom of the page where it says cost of tools previously purchased? This is my son's second year as an apprentice

5 Replies

Tools for apprentices. Do I have to fill out the bottom of the page where it says cost of tools previously purchased? This is my son's second year as an apprentice

Only if you sold tools in previous years you enter the amount, otherwise NO.

• As a tradesperson (including an apprentice mechanic), you may decide to sell any or all of the eligible tools for which you claimed a deduction. If so, you must include, in your income in the year you sold the tool(s), the amount by which the proceeds of disposition of each tool is greater than the adjusted cost of the eligible tool sold. The proceeds of disposition of a tool is the amount of money you sold the tool for.
karenh2

The Turbo Tax employee I dealt with did not know the answer and advised that I call CRA. According to the CRA employee Monica, you do NOT have to enter the previous years’ amounts. This is only if you sold tools.

@karenh - you are correct I will revise my answer -  on that form just above the entries it is written -
As a tradesperson (including an apprentice mechanic), you may decide to sell any or all of the eligible tools for which you claimed a deduction. If so, you must include, in your income in the year you sold the tool(s), the amount by which the proceeds of disposition of each tool is greater than the adjusted cost of the eligible tool sold. The proceeds of disposition of a tool is the amount of money you sold the tool for.
karenh2

If turbo tax worded the question differently or put a header on it that it’s only if you sold tools then I wouldn’t have wasted time trying to find the right answer.

Thank you for your comment.