Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjjoint

I purchased a brand new rental property in Alberta and am wondering if there is a way to claim the GST I paid on the property and where I would enter the information.

I read about it on the CRA website (RC4231 GST/HST New Residential Rental Property Rebate).

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rhino2

I purchased a brand new rental property in Alberta and am wondering if there is a way to claim the GST I paid on the property and where I would enter the information.

To find out if you qualify for the New Residential Rental Property Rebate, read through RC4231 to determine if it applies to the specifics of your situation.

If you qualify for the rebate, you do not claim it by entering information on your income tax return, but by completing the relevant application forms:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gp/rc4231/rc4231-e.html#P292_38539

Keep in mind that if you do qualify and receive the rebate, that amount should be excluded from the cost base of the property for Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) purposes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
rhino2

To find out if you qualify for the New Residential Rental Property Rebate, read through RC4231 to determine if it applies to the specifics of your situation.

If you qualify for the rebate, you do not claim it by entering information on your income tax return, but by completing the relevant application forms:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gp/rc4231/rc4231-e.html#P292_38539

Keep in mind that if you do qualify and receive the rebate, that amount should be excluded from the cost base of the property for Capital Cost Allowance (CCA) purposes.