TurboTax 2020 download blank white windows -- text...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
CanadaEnglishEN

Pick a language

CanadaFrançais United States of AmericaEnglish
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PepeLePeu
Level 3

TurboTax 2020 download blank white windows -- text not rendering

I previously reported an issue related to a blank windows when installing TurboTax 2020. The screen which prompts for the activation key was blank, however I was able to work around by hovering the mouse over the screen until I found the text entry field and the ENTER button.

I found another blank screen in the program when I launch "Community" from the TurboTax menu bar (see below). I discovered that if I resize the window by dragging the bottom right corner, the text then becomes visible. Looks like some sort of problem with the window not rendering properly when it launches. Maybe an interaction between TT and the video driver? 

TurboTax Blank Community Screen.jpgTurboTax Community Screen.jpg

13 Replies
Cormac1434

This is extremely FRUSTRATING, can you please resolve this software issue as I am unable to use your product until this is resolved?

Failure to resolve this issue in the next 2 weeks means that I will have to purchase an alternative product to complete my 2020 Tax return and this means that I will be seeking a refund for the full price of the TurboTax Premier 2020 product.

Judging by the comments on your support site I am not your only customer which is effected by this issue, as I long term customer I am not very happy at the moment so I would appreciate your response to this?

C. Ryan

rinfanti56
Level 2

i am having the same problem and its extremely frustrating.  I can't type in my licence code as all i get is a blank white window and therefore i have no idea where i am supposed to type it.  at one point the licence window actually showed up but when i selected the box to begin typing it would not render.  I too have used Turbotax and its predecessor for at least 15 years and this is the first time ive tried downloading it as my new computer does not have a DVD drive.  

some people have said to change the resolution to get the licence screen to appear.  i did that and it did appear once but when i selected the typing box, again it would not render.  i have spent 1.5 hours on this and it doesnt seem that you have come up with any answers.  please do something about this ASAP 

quinn8665
Level 3

I'm having the same problem. Blank screen and unable to enter the activation code. I called TT support last week and they said it will be fixed in a couple of days. Not yet.

I'm installing TT on a Dell Windows 10 Home Ver 10.0.19042 Build 19042

Can anyone help please?

Xaviermathew1
Returning Member

Try this if you still have the problem.

Right click the Turbo tax App icon on the desktop or wherever it is placed, and then click Properties

Click Compatibility,

Check the box "Run this program in compatibility mode for"

choose "Windows XP service pack 3" and then click OK.

Open the program again and see if it is working.

It should be working now and if not, follow the steps below in the compatibility page.

Click Run compatibility troubleshooter,

Click Troubleshoot program,

Check the box- Program worked in earlier version of windows but won't install or run now. then Click Next,

Click I don't know-Click Next

The troubleshooter will choose a previous version from the list.

Test the program to see if its working.

Hope this must have helped at least some of you.

Thanks and Enjoy.

quinn8665
Level 3

Thank you for trying to help, however these suggestions did not work as I am still unable to open and activate my TT2020

Xaviermathew1
Returning Member

Also try to uninstall the TT2020 and then clear all the cookies form the system. Make sure the windows update is done as well. Reinstall again and try.

quinn8665
Level 3

Again Thank you for your assistance. I deleted the TT program, removed the all time cookies, restarted the PC and reinstalled TT.

Same result, there is a blank screen and no way to enter my activation code.

dvjleahy
Returning Member

I have the same problem running this on a Dell.  tried all kinds of tactics to work around but no luck.  Guess I am going to stop using TurboTax

rinfanti56
Level 2

When you get the white box, move your cursor around. At some point around the left side in the middle, your cursor will change from an arrow to what you normally get over a dialogue box.  Click here and type in the licence code.  Then move to the bottom right and your cursor will change again when you get over the “ok” button.  Click on that area.  It should get you in.  It’s a pain in the butt however I got this procedure from someone else who posted it on here.

good luck!

v