CanadaFrançais United States of AmericaEnglish
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ronn88
Level 2

Turbotax 2020 standard will not open

Seems to install fine. I can input my 16 digit activation code. I then get the green checkmark screen and click "get started". Then that is it. nothing opens. I have uninstalled and installed. It does the same thing every time I  try  launch the software. 

I have the four previous years TurboTax software installed on this computer and never had an issue. Windows 10

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Ronn88
Level 2

Just a follow up.

Yes, you can open TT2020 in offline mode and do your taxes. But when its time to netfile it doesn't recognize TT2020 standard as being authorized, hense it wants you to buy returns at $19.99 each.

But, I did see on this forum that someone used their phone as a hotspot and then connect to the internet through your phone. I tried this , TT2020 opened as it should. It showed that I had 8 returns remaining. Everything worked as it should, finally.

View solution in original post

60 Replies
ymorin1958
Returning Member

Mine did not open after the update.  Any tubotax tech reading these posts?

Ohmsford

I'm having the same issue after the update installed today.  Will not open.  Tried to uninstall and reinstall, same issue.

Trying a second computer next, will update. 

pokymommy

Yes I am having the same issue.   Sent an online message on their facebook page.  No response as yet.

jgf50
Level 2

Same issue here. Purchased 2020 online from Costco. Downloads fine, but no prompt appears for activation code, so it won't open. Spent an hour on the phone Friday with TurboTax tech, but she couldn't come up with a solution. Other discussions online today say they're working on it. Not impressed!

pokymommy

Uninstalled then reinstalled and was able to open it now and also my previous work on the file.👍

TurboImpotGinette

We are sorry for the inconvenience. We are happy to report that the root cause of the problem has been corrected. Once you uninstall TurboTax and reinstall using this link, the issue will be resolved.
https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/where-can-i-download-the-cd-... 

Thank you for your patience.

jgf50
Level 2

Sorry Ginette, but your suggested solution did not work for me. I used your link to uninstall/reinstall TurboTax 2020 Standard. It downloaded fine, but it does not prompt me for the Licence Code, so it will not open and run. I have been using TurboTax for over ten years and never had any installation problems like this year. I already spent an hour on the phone with one of your agents on Friday and she couldn't find a solution either. I am running Windows 8, but your website says Windows 8 is supported. Any other ideas, or should I just request a refund from Costco for my purchase? Thanks

TurboImpotGinette

Sorry, you are still having problems. You may want to review the following TurboTax FAQ:

What are the system requirements for the online edition of TurboTax?

We would like to help you to correct this issue.

Thank you for your patience.

jgf50
Level 2

Your answer is of no help to me. I’m not running the “online” version. I purchased the “download” version from Costco. My computer meets all of the system requirements listed on your website for your download version. The “Enter Licence Code Window” does not open. So, now what would you like me to do?

3D99E2A5-9B41-4370-8189-35124F73E088.png

v