Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kensim

Turbotax is not calculating the family tax cut

I qualify and would benefit from the family tax cut.  Unfortunately, Schedule 1-A is not entering any of my numbers (ie zero green amounts for lines 1, 2, etc)

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I had this problem and finally solved it. TurboTax automatically claimed the Family Tax Cut as soon as I had told them I had kids and was filing with my wife. Later when I got to the screen to "claim it" and did, I saw no impact on my amount owing/refund amount and thought it was not calculating. But then, if I went back and did not claim it, my takes owing shot up. Then I claimed it again and saw it go back down to the initial number.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
y_bastien

Same here.  Schedule 1A is not importing / exporting data from / to Schedule 1.  Potential cause of the bug... When double clicking on the green field in Schedule 1A for the very first entry.Line 1 Column One... I am directed to line 49 of the first column (of four) in Schedule 1  - taxable income <  $43,953.  Since my taxable income is > than this figure the column does not apply and 00.00 appears in line 49.  This is the incorrect number imported into my Schedule 1A.    In my case Line 49 of the 4th column of taxable income brackets applies and the proper figure appears here in Schedule 1.  I can't find anyway to get Schedule 1A to import the proper "line 49".    Suspect that given the rush that this new benefit was introduced with ... that the software is not completely coded and does not take into account the existence of four possible addresses for the elusive "line 49".  The only way that I can get Schedule 1A to calculate to correct credit is by using the override feature which of course prevents the return from being NetFiled.  Not acceptable.  Please come up with a patch or tell me I've missed an obvious instruction or note.  Many thanks
miss_psr

I am having the same problem where it is not calculating the family tax amount.  When I went into the schedule 1, I found amounts that should have amounts entered in them as being zero.  Not happy with Turbo Tax!
cherie1

I ended up filing without the claim showing (it said 0 on line 423, and no matter who many times I went back to the start, it did not show the dialogue box) - after being on hold once for an hour and 20 minutes before the first helper couldn't figure it out and directed me to call a different number, where I was on hold for another 40 minutes. After much  messing around, he said the only thing he could figure was it was because my husband's taxable income was too low - just under 40,000 - and we were in the same bracket after his employment expenses. I have no income.  He said it was because turbo tax was doing the figuring, just not showing, or allowing the calculations to show. So, apparently we don't make enough for the "help for families". I have my doubts that our returns are correct, and I think the tax advisor wasn't certain either. This is a major glitch.

To be eligible for the "Family" Tax Cut, you have to be able to claim at least one child under the age of 18, otherwise you do not qualify for it.

Turbo Tax is working. The CRA just doesn't want you to income split UNLESS you have a child under the age of 18 that you are claiming. Only then can you income split.

I had this problem and finally solved it. TurboTax automatically claimed the Family Tax Cut as soon as I had told them I had kids and was filing with my wife. Later when I got to the screen to "claim it" and did, I saw no impact on my amount owing/refund amount and thought it was not calculating. But then, if I went back and did not claim it, my takes owing shot up. Then I claimed it again and saw it go back down to the initial number.
jeringma

when you reviewed your schedule 1 form was there an amount on line 423?
alandb

No amount on line 423
jeringma

so, shouldn't there be an amount recorded there if Turbo Tax has automatically calculated it?