Turbotax stops working - any suggestions to a fix ...

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
EnglishEN

Pick a language

Français English
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nazimr
Returning Member

Turbotax stops working - any suggestions to a fix will be appreciated

I just completed installing turbotax 2019 on Windows 7.  After entering the license key successfully, I am prompted to register for updates.  I select the "Register Later" option at which point I get a message displayed, "Turbotax Stopped Working".  I have tried re-installing and also ensuring that the Windows firewall is allowing Turbotax traffic, but still keep on getting the message.  I try the same process with previous years version of Turbotax and everything works fine.  Help!!  What is causing it to stop working..

would appreciate any help.

thanks

9 Replies
HAL9000
Level 4

You do not have to register for updates. TurboTax checks for updates automatically every time it starts, whether you have registered it or not. Registration is completely optional:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/what-should-i-do-if-i-m-unab...

The Registration pop-up did not work properly last year either, but it did not stop the program from working.  This year, it seems to freeze TurboTax in its tracks. I get that when I attempt to register, but when I click the Later button, it dismisses the pop-up. If that doesn't work for you, try dismissing it by clicking the X in the upper right corner of the pop-up. If that still freezes the software, contact customer support:

https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/community/product-information/help/contact-us/00/873707

nazimr
Returning Member

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it and still not working.  I should have further clarified in my earlier message that after I click on "Register Later" button, I see a pop-up that says "checking for updates" and then it stops working.  So it seems to me that the problem occurs when it is checking for updates.

I have a call into tech support and see what they say.

Thanks again!

HAL9000
Level 4

If you get the "checking for updates" pop-up after clicking the X or the "Later" button, the problem is probably not with the broken Register pop-up but the update function, as it kicks in only after the Register box has been successfully dismissed. If 'support' has not yet resolved your issue, you could try starting TurboTax while offline, which should give you an "unable to check for updates" message instead.

pho_usyk

I have the exact same issue. When TT2019 loads it asks to register, than checks for updates and proceeds to 'crash' (states "program has stopped working"). 

This happens whether or not I have the internet on. If the internet is off, it gives some error notice and likewise crashes. 

Did you get it to work somehow? Or anyone know a fix?

Calo

I just installed TT 2019 and it says that TT cannot install on Windows 7 because it is no longer supported by Microsoft. 

I am ticked off also. I hope I'm wrong. 

TurboTaxGinette

Fortunately, the issue with installing on Windows 7 has been resolved. Please retry downloading your copy of TurboTax by selecting your version from this TurboTax FAQ link: https://bit.ly/39nzYiL Unfortunately, our TurboTax CD/download is not compatible with MAC computers. You can start using our TurboTax Online by creating an Online account- and then follow these instructions in order to bring your 2018 return to your MAC computer. How to transfer my TurboTax files to a different computer Whether you are upgrading your computer or simply want the convenience of mobility, your TurboTax files can easily be transferred from device to device for quick accessibility. 

J1937

I  have finished entering all my info, when I try to go forward it  sends me back to T4A (OAS).  I have checked everything and it looks okay,  but  I can't continue

TurboTaxGinette

In order to help you with this situation, we believe your best option is to contact our telephone support team for further assistance, as they have the option to view your screen to help resolve the issue. To contact us please follow this link: Contact Us form. Once you go through the steps and complete the form, the phone number to speak to a TurboTax agent will appear on the page. If the agent cannot resolve your issue please make sure you tell them you want to escalate the issue to a higher level.

Thank you for your patience.

erniieliknes
Returning Member

Turbotax stops working any suggestions to fix would be appreciated. 

v