Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When delivering for Uber Eats, is it at all necessary to register for a GST/HST account? I was advised at the Uber office that they do not recommend doing so

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

When delivering for Uber Eats, is it at all necessary to register for a GST/HST account? I was advised at the Uber office that they do not recommend doing so

Uber ride share drivers must register for GST/HST because they collect GST/HST from their customers. With Uber Eats, Uber collects the GST/HST, so drivers are not required to register for a GST/HST account. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Uber ride share drivers must register for GST/HST because they collect GST/HST from their customers. With Uber Eats, Uber collects the GST/HST, so drivers are not required to register for a GST/HST account. 

As indicated in our TurboTax article: GST/HST Reporting Requirements For Food Delivery Services: If your total income, before deducting expenses, is less than $30,000, you will be referred to as a small supplier, and you are not required to register for a business number or GST/HST account.  Once the income passes the $30,000, the driver has to register for a GST/HST (QST in Quebec) account even for zero-rated supplies.

As previously indicated if Uber is collecting the GST for you, then you do not need to register for a GST/HST account.

Please read all information supplied to make an informed decision. 

For more information please contact the Canada Revenue Agency: Individual tax enquiries line

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

nana segu

Hi @TurboTaxGinette 

by total income being less than $30,000 , do you mean the income the driver is getting from just UberEat or the income he gets from UberEat plus any income he is getting from a 2nd job (In my case). Thank you

@nana segu It would be your income from any self-employment you have.