Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My submission to CRA indicated a refund, however I just received a bill from CRA saying I owe a lot of money

When I filed with turbotax in April 2017, it indicated I was getting a refund. It is now 8 months later and I just got a notification from the CRA that I owe a lot of money. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My submission to CRA indicated a refund, however I just received a bill from CRA saying I owe a lot of money

When the CRA reassesses your tax return, they indicate why on your Notice of Reassessment.

First, review your Notice of Assessment and compare it to your filed return. Once you've done this, if you believe your reassessment was due to a TurboTax calculation error, here's how to initiate a review of your return under our 100% accurate calculations guarantee: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647678

View solution in original post

2 Replies

When the CRA reassesses your tax return, they indicate why on your Notice of Reassessment.

First, review your Notice of Assessment and compare it to your filed return. Once you've done this, if you believe your reassessment was due to a TurboTax calculation error, here's how to initiate a review of your return under our 100% accurate calculations guarantee: https://turbotax.community.intuit.ca/replies/2647678

Gerard3

I've tried for 20 minutes to find a way to contact someone at Intuit/TurboTax, but keep getting stuck in a link loop. There is no place to sign in, no place to submit a complaint, no contact email address... So I gave up and came here.

I eFiled last week, with TurboTax determining I was owed $1779.71 as a refund. There was an option to apply this refund to my tax installment payments, and as I've not been able to pay installments for several months due to lack of income (COVID-19) I decided to click that link, supposedly applying the 'refund' to my owed tax amount, which I had been paying off in monthly installments. Today I received a Notice of Assessment from CRA saying that I owe them $1820.29 for 2019, in addition to the remaining previously owed amount which I had been paying for monthly. So Turbotax made an error of exactly $3600, it seems? Or CRA did? Or I did? I have no way of knowing. The numbers on my submitted tax form lines match those on the available assessment form lines, yet they came up with a basically opposite result. I'm broke, waiting for my next CERB cheque as I have almost zero income since March. Do you care? I paid for your services, now I owe more, though my income was quite low last year... this is not good.