Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
forumrox

2017 LPP Loss not showing up in Turbotax for Carry Forward - why?

1. My re-filed 2017 T1 shows a LPP Loss: https://prnt.sc/mt305x
  2. Turbotax 2018 does not recognize/import this loss: https://prnt.sc/mt31bl

Why?

I want the TurboTax system to recognize that loss from previous years, so it can carry forward 7 years. Should it not populate that field?

5 Replies

When you started your tax return for 2018 did you "Start a new return" or "Transfer into a new 2018 return"?  If you started a new return you would have to manually enter it.  If you transferred to a new return, did the time limit end for carrying it forward?  That might be why.

forumrox

I imported from the previous year. As the loss occurred in 2017, it has a 7 year expiry, so still 6 more years after this one. I guess I'll just manually enter the number even though it says available balance of 0 from notice of assessment before. Would be nice if TurboTax actually helped out and answered their customers.

I am having the same issue...program flaw?
forumrox

It appears to be a problem with the CRA system. The CRA area for your account won't show the LPP as a loss - but there is an area to specify the loss to be carried forward in the tax program. I ended up using SimpleTax instead - their help was super fast and it's free or you can choose to donate. Not happy with Turbotax customer service.

From what I understand that Notice Of Assessment should have shown a carry forward.  I understand you as a question I needed answered wasn't answered from Turbo Tax but rather I obtained information through this community forum.