Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my deductions summary show my basic personal amount as $22,948? That is twice the $11,474 allowed. My wife's summary shows the same thing.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why does my deductions summary show my basic personal amount as $22,948? That is twice the $11,474 allowed. My wife's summary shows the same thing.

If you are preparing the tax returns for you and your spouse separately in the software (instead of jointly) you will need to provide detailed information of each spouse in the "Setting up" section of Turbo Tax. If the Net Income for each spouse is ommitted the software will claim the "Spousal Amount" incorrectly. This seems to be the case in your circumstance. Review the detailed summary for confirmation.

You can access a detailed summary under the "Review" tab > "Bottom Line (tax summaries)" > in the lower left hand corner (paper + magnifying glass) click on "Detailed Tax Summary"

View solution in original post

1 Reply

If you are preparing the tax returns for you and your spouse separately in the software (instead of jointly) you will need to provide detailed information of each spouse in the "Setting up" section of Turbo Tax. If the Net Income for each spouse is ommitted the software will claim the "Spousal Amount" incorrectly. This seems to be the case in your circumstance. Review the detailed summary for confirmation.

You can access a detailed summary under the "Review" tab > "Bottom Line (tax summaries)" > in the lower left hand corner (paper + magnifying glass) click on "Detailed Tax Summary"