Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
xrprowse

Why is the donation detail figure different from the Line 349 Summary figure?

I entered a total of $2661.00 in charitable donations. however, in the summary section of my return the amount shown for charitable donations is $743.69.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

The figures are reconciled as follows;  on the first $200 your credit is 15% or $30.00.  On the balance of $2,461 the credit is 29% or $713.69.  Therefore, the amount allowed on line 349 is $30 plus 713.69=$743.69. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
qgswart

Last year I claimed $4250.00 on my return for charitable donations. I did not see that this amount had doubled to $8500.00 when I net filed. I received a cheque for $3700.00.  Later I was asked to send in my receipts, because I had claimed the bigger amount. I only had receipts $4250.00 and ended up owing $1700.00. Now I have claimed for $6745.00 and once again this figure has doubled to $13490.00 and have been given a refund of $5454.81. Will I have to pay half of this refund back like I did last time.
quentin
fuzzy

Yes you will unless you have receipts for $13490.  You should re-check your entries for your charitable donations to determine why the amount is doubling year after year.  I have never encountered this situation during the many years I have used TurboTax and the many returns I have prepared using this software.
fuzzy

The figures are reconciled as follows;  on the first $200 your credit is 15% or $30.00.  On the balance of $2,461 the credit is 29% or $713.69.  Therefore, the amount allowed on line 349 is $30 plus 713.69=$743.69. 

scj12

I have just run into this problem too, but not doubled - just 555 over what we entered. We've just been asked for receipts which is when I realized the amount claimed on the tax form is not the same as the numbers entered in the program. Is there a glitch in the program?? Never had this issue in other years we were asked for receipts. Quite miffed, not just about the money we now owe, but that it'll cause the cra to question the rest of our tax return.