Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jace1

What and where can I claim expenses if I work as an independent dog walker? Insurance, park permit, supplies etc.

I work as an independent contractor (dog walker). I am not an employee and do not get a salary. Are there expenses I can claim such as supplies, personal insurance, a park permit for a dog park where I walk...Where would I find the place to claim these expenses?  Thanks!

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

What and where can I claim expenses if I work as an independent dog walker? Insurance, park permit, supplies etc.

You can claim expenses related to your professional activities as a dog walker: insurance, park permits, poop bags, leashes, transportation costs, online advertising, print advertising, website hosting, invoicing software, any other software or services used to support your business, etc...

Just make sure you have receipts for everything you're claiming.

In TurboTax we'll ask you at the beginning if you're self-employed (see attached screenshot).

If you've already started your return and want to get back to the Self-employed expenses section from the main navigation choose Income > Self-Employment and TurboTax will guide you through everything related to both your income and expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You can claim expenses related to your professional activities as a dog walker: insurance, park permits, poop bags, leashes, transportation costs, online advertising, print advertising, website hosting, invoicing software, any other software or services used to support your business, etc...

Just make sure you have receipts for everything you're claiming.

In TurboTax we'll ask you at the beginning if you're self-employed (see attached screenshot).

If you've already started your return and want to get back to the Self-employed expenses section from the main navigation choose Income > Self-Employment and TurboTax will guide you through everything related to both your income and expenses.