Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
djzba1993

Can I claim the premiums for extended health care ?(I'm retired).

I am a retired teacher and pay $220 a month premium for extended health care with Alberta Blue Cross (covers pharmacy, chiropractic massage, hearing aids etc.

From my understanding I can claim  anything the extended health insurance doesn't pay for.

Can I also claim the approximately $2500 in premiums for this extended insurance (Blue Cross).

My wife has a separate extended insurance through Dejardins as she still works.  Can I also claim her premiums?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

Definitely.  You are allowed to claim your premiums for Alberta Blue Cross as well as any eligible medical expenses that were not paid or reimbursed by this plan.  You are also entitled to claim the premiums that your wife paid for private medical plan premiums.   You should be aware that you can claim medical expenses for both spouses on one return.  In fact, not only is this perfectly acceptable, it is generally more advantageous to do so.  Also, it is generally more beneficial to claim all of the medical expenses for both spouses on the return of the spouse with the lower net income because of the 3% threshold.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
fuzzy

Definitely.  You are allowed to claim your premiums for Alberta Blue Cross as well as any eligible medical expenses that were not paid or reimbursed by this plan.  You are also entitled to claim the premiums that your wife paid for private medical plan premiums.   You should be aware that you can claim medical expenses for both spouses on one return.  In fact, not only is this perfectly acceptable, it is generally more advantageous to do so.  Also, it is generally more beneficial to claim all of the medical expenses for both spouses on the return of the spouse with the lower net income because of the 3% threshold.

rhoskins

do you claim them as medical expenses?
fuzzy

Yes