Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I claim any condo building re-envelope expenses (new windows, patio door, balcony railings)? Can I claim installing a new bathtub, upgrading a bathroom? I am 67.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I claim any condo building re-envelope expenses (new windows, patio door, balcony railings)? Can I claim installing a new bathtub, upgrading a bathroom? I am 67.

There is a Senior's Home Renovation Credit for those living in BC:

These expenses are not eligible

Expenses not eligible

Expenses are not eligible if their primary purpose is to increase the value of the home or if they are for annual, recurring, or routine repair, maintenance, or service. Examples of ineligible expenses include:

• general maintenance – such as plumbing or electrical repairs;
  • repairs to a roof;
  • aesthetic enhancements such as landscaping or redecorating;
  • installation of new windows or regular flooring;
  • installation of heating or air conditioning systems; and
  • replacement of insulation

Walk in bathtubs or wheel in showers may be eligible.  I would recommend a letter from your physician stating that the renovations are necessary.  Some people have had difficulty obtaining this credit.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

There is a Senior's Home Renovation Credit for those living in BC:

These expenses are not eligible

Expenses not eligible

Expenses are not eligible if their primary purpose is to increase the value of the home or if they are for annual, recurring, or routine repair, maintenance, or service. Examples of ineligible expenses include:

• general maintenance – such as plumbing or electrical repairs;
  • repairs to a roof;
  • aesthetic enhancements such as landscaping or redecorating;
  • installation of new windows or regular flooring;
  • installation of heating or air conditioning systems; and
  • replacement of insulation

Walk in bathtubs or wheel in showers may be eligible.  I would recommend a letter from your physician stating that the renovations are necessary.  Some people have had difficulty obtaining this credit.