Only Pay GST On Self-Employed Income?

Hello!

I am filing our tax return for 2014 for the first time using TurboTax from our accountant previously doing it for us.

This is my situation: I run a small data consulting company to offer IT support as 'contract work' for other companies. The only company I dealt with in 2014 was a company in BC (I live in QC) and thus have JUST been charging them the GST (5%) on top of the invoice amount, not charging any QST. My company is registered provincially and federally with a GST + QST tax number. I have not made any payments throughout the year of my GST collected to the government, so I know I would have to pay it once filing.

I entered all the income made in TurboTax (before GST) and it seems to have calculated it with GST. What I am wondering though, is does TurboTax know to not charge QST on this amount since I did not enter anywhere that all my invoices were out of province and I never charged QST to my client?

Something I did notice , is that my 'estimated tax return' on the right side did get significantly lower once I entered that income since I did not pay any income tax or GST on it yet.

I just want to make sure I'm not going to end up paying an unnecessary tax (QST) since my invoices were all to out-of-province clients.

Thanks!

Mike 

1 additional answer

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community