How do I claim fuel, maintenance, auto-insurance and license fees given that I use my vehicle for work purposes?

While TurboTax asks for both total km driven and km driven for work - it does not ask for a breakdown of the fuel, maintenance, auto-insurance or license fees etc. related to the km driven for work.

Do I simply enter the total amount paid for each of these or, for the fuel and maintenance specifically, do I only report the HST? Furthermore, do I break down either the total or HST only by the km driven for work/total km number?

Thanks

Answer

If you are self-employed, you would click on the income tab, choose self-employment-other to bring up the appropriate pages.  On mine, I see the mileage driven and the mileage driven for work.  Directly under that are the expenses.  The mileage for work divided by the total mileage provides the percentage of the expenses you can claim.  Then fill in all of the expenses to get a total

If you are registered for GST, you would remove the GST from all revenue and expense as it is reported elsewhere.  If you are not registered, your revenue and expense will include the GST.

It is the same for the T777 for employment expenses, but you must have a signed T2200 from your employer to make a claim.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Original
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community