Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to file as common-law when my boyfriend and I keep our finances separate?

My boyfriend and I have been living together for a few years but everything financial is completely separate for us! When filing as common-law, it doesn't seem fair that his income is counted in what I can afford and what I get back. Do we have to file as common-law?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Do I have to file as common-law when my boyfriend and I keep our finances separate?

Have you been filing as common-law partners up to now? If so, you would need to indicate a change in status to CRA, that the relationship is over. CRA is not interested in how you divie up financial affairs, just the taxes each of you owe. Regardless, you each have to file your own individual returns. There is no such thing as joint filing in Canada.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If we have to file together, is there a way to see what we are getting for the tax returns that only one of us can claim, so that we can split it evenly? All I see is a total number of tax return, but I would like a break down such as how much is from the Personal Tax Credit, how much is from our rent claim.. etc.

Have you been filing as common-law partners up to now? If so, you would need to indicate a change in status to CRA, that the relationship is over. CRA is not interested in how you divie up financial affairs, just the taxes each of you owe. Regardless, you each have to file your own individual returns. There is no such thing as joint filing in Canada.

You can continue to file separately.  That makes no difference as Tony mentioned.  Where you can get into problems by not advising CRA of your marital status (common law) is if you both claim the GST/HST rebate and if you both claim the same amount for the rent claim.  Some things need to be split or CRA can reassess.