When I add $200K in RRSP w/d to my wife's return, TT suggests optimizing our returns by splitting MY pension 50/50 thus raising her income even more. Is this a flaw?

Our 2013 returns have been tiled. I was using TT to "simulate" what would happen if my wife were to withdraw RRSP funds.  It is counterintuitive to think that increasing her income with RRSP withdrawals would trigger a suggestion for me to split my pension and therefore further increase her income and, of course, income taxes.  What gives with this?

Answer

An intriguing question!
I've done pension splitting twice now, with good results.

Firstly, not really relevant, an RRSP withdrawal is not eligible for pension splitting.

Secondly, a lot depends on how much withholding tax you figured into your wife's RRSP withdrawal. It would have to be at the highest marginal rate for your province.

Pension splitting aims to minimize tax payable. In a pension split, not only does income change hands, but the amount of tax paid goes with it.

Turbotax software is seeing the huge amount of unpaid tax on your wife's RRSP withdrawal and attempting to compensate for thatby moving your taxed pension amounts .

If you did not factor in any tax witheld into RRSP, the split algorithm will try to move any eligible income that has been taxed.
Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
SuperUser

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community