Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zanzibarr

How do I enter charitable donations carried forward from a previous year?

How do I enter charitable donations carried forward from a previous year? Where is the option to submit donations carried forward? Is there a Carried Forward From Last Year Charitable Donations page?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AK11

In EasyStep, click on the "Find" icon on the toolbar.  Search for "Donations" in Index tab and click "Go". It will go to "Donations profile for 2014" page.  You can check the "Unclaimed donation contributions carried forward from a previous tax return".  Click on "Continue" will land on the "Charitable donations carried forward" and you can enter info there.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
AK11

In EasyStep, click on the "Find" icon on the toolbar.  Search for "Donations" in Index tab and click "Go". It will go to "Donations profile for 2014" page.  You can check the "Unclaimed donation contributions carried forward from a previous tax return".  Click on "Continue" will land on the "Charitable donations carried forward" and you can enter info there.

Heron

I could enter 2014 donations and TurboTax had my unused donations from 2013,but nothing appeared on Schedule 9 when printed. Is this because I again did not use them? Shouldn't the carry forward show up somewhere - I did enter all the details on the screen.

Turbo will use Political & medical payments first as they're not so easily carried forward.
If that reduces tax to zero, then all the  charitable donations are carried forward. Some users are having trouble carrying this amount forward because they use a Mac. I use a Mac with no trouble that way for three years.

can a charity donation that was not claim for 2016 or that was not carry forward  can be claim for 2017

infok
Returning Member

Question : does that mean you cannot enter unused donation from a previous year in the same Receipts>Donations window as this year's donation ? 

infok
Returning Member

Is the unused donation from a previous year entered in the Carry Fwd form in the Charitable Donations and Gifts Carried Forward from previous years section 
while the current year's donations are entered in the Receipts>Donations window ? 

DVE22
Returning Member

So are you saying that somehow the carried forward donations will automatically be used, if the donations are affecting the bottom line but will be carried over again, if it doesn't make any difference

No, your carry-forward donations will not be used automatically in your return or on your taxes. Donations can be carried forward for up to five years. If you need to know if you have claimed donations in previous years, you can find out using the CRA’s My Account online service. Once you log into your account, click on the tax returns tab at the top of the page. From there, you can view your tax returns from previous years. 

To use your carry-forward donations sign in to your return, click on the "Find" icon at the top right corner.  Write and select "Donations" in the search window and click "Go". It will go to the "Donations profile for 2021" page.  You can check the "Unclaimed donation contributions carried forward from a previous tax return".  Click on "Continue" which will open the "Charitable donations carried forward" screen where you can enter your information and click "Continue" to save your entry.

Thank you for choosing TurboTax.

Having followed your instructions to enter a carry forward amount for us charitable donations I do not see it entered anywhere in the return. I only see the receipt amounts listed for the current year. How do I know the carryforward amount has been entered?