Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmchutter

Can I claim the cost for doula support during labour as a medical expense?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Only if you were officially referred to this service by a medical professional.
Usually this is not the case, as a doctor would generally counsel and refer hospitalization for an at-risk pregnancy. This was recently the case with my daughter. She had a doula lined up, but was forced to be hospitalized with a first child at 41 years old and with Oedema of pregnancy, which can be fatal.
If you simply opt for doula service as a personal preference, that is fine, but not eligible for medical expense credit.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Only if you were officially referred to this service by a medical professional.
Usually this is not the case, as a doctor would generally counsel and refer hospitalization for an at-risk pregnancy. This was recently the case with my daughter. She had a doula lined up, but was forced to be hospitalized with a first child at 41 years old and with Oedema of pregnancy, which can be fatal.
If you simply opt for doula service as a personal preference, that is fine, but not eligible for medical expense credit.
hscammell

A doula doesn't substitute a doctor, though - are you thinking of a midwife Tony? Your daughter could have easily had a doula present in addition to a doctor for her higher-risk experience.
hscammell

But I don't know for certain, and I'm also interested in the answer. I am using a doula this spring.

Certain services may be eligible in some provinces but not in others. CRA has a comprehensive list of these.