Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ljermann

My teenage daughter (listed as dependant) has a T4 from part time work for less than $1000 how should I proceed?

Is it worth it for her to file her own taxes and if so can I still list her as dependant ? 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My teenage daughter (listed as dependant) has a T4 from part time work for less than $1000 how should I proceed?

If she was under 18 on 31 December 2014 you can still ( at least for the 2014 tax year) claim her on your return as a child dependant. Regardless of whether she files or not.

Also you do not need a new on-line account to create a return for her. Go Tools, then Return Manager, then Create a New Return.

In fact it would be valuable to let her step through EasyStep to create a return, just to learn how. Note that if she is a first time filer, she will have to file by mail,submitting a copy of her T4.  Better yet, she could fill out a real paper return from the Post Office and learn some valuable tax insights.

Filing is always a good idea because you establish a master file at CRA, generate RRSP deduction room for the future, and may possibly pick up some credits along the way.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
MamaK

If she has a T4 then CRA will be expecting a tax return from her.  Yes, you can still list her as a dependant, but must indicate her NET Income under the dependants information on your tax return.  So, do her return first 🙂

She may also be able to get a refund of any of her tax and benefits paid if she files her own return.
ljermann

Does that mean I need to open a brand new account in turbo tax just for her ?
MamaK

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by opening a brand new account?  This may apply to on-line version or downloadable which I am not familiar with?  I use Standard version on disk which has 20 returns on it.

If she was under 18 on 31 December 2014 you can still ( at least for the 2014 tax year) claim her on your return as a child dependant. Regardless of whether she files or not.

Also you do not need a new on-line account to create a return for her. Go Tools, then Return Manager, then Create a New Return.

In fact it would be valuable to let her step through EasyStep to create a return, just to learn how. Note that if she is a first time filer, she will have to file by mail,submitting a copy of her T4.  Better yet, she could fill out a real paper return from the Post Office and learn some valuable tax insights.

Filing is always a good idea because you establish a master file at CRA, generate RRSP deduction room for the future, and may possibly pick up some credits along the way.

Lost all my data (?) as I followed this advice: "Go Tools, then Return Manager, then Create a New Return" - It simply erased my return and replaced it with "Welcome to start from scratch page "!!! Or is it still there in the background somewhere? Please help...

Finish putting in your daughter's personal information so that her return remains available and close it..  Then go to tools return manager and both returns should be there to choose from.

Go to Return Manager, all saved returns should be shown. If necessary, start a new return.

THANKS THAT SOLVED THE PROBLEM