Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I claim the expenses of an employee-nanny and what expenses can I claim?

We employed a nanny last year. To do so, we obtained a business number, remitted to CRA the deductions (tax, ei, cpp) and the employer top-ups (ei, cpp), and provided to her a T4. 

In doing our taxes, how do we claim these expenses? 

The reason for my confusion is that turbotax prompts me for "child care receipts". We don't have receipts, just the payroll stubs and T4 we issued to the nanny. Is there something I'm missing? Am I supposed to enter the child care expenses differently? Or do I just include the amount as a "receipt"? Do I need a more advanced version of turbotax?

Second question: what to claim. I assume that we claim her gross salary plus all employer top-ups. 

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

You will claim her gross salary plus the employer portion of EI and CPP.  Your support consists of the copies of the T4 and summary you sent to CRA in February.  They seem to be more interested in gross expenses compared to earnings.

View solution in original post

13 Replies

You will claim her gross salary plus the employer portion of EI and CPP.  Your support consists of the copies of the T4 and summary you sent to CRA in February.  They seem to be more interested in gross expenses compared to earnings.

Where do we record this claim? as a receipt?

As a child care expense.  It can be added as a receipt.
rogerp

i paid only 1 nanny for my 3 children, how will i report this expenses? do i have to sub-divide the gross expenses for the 3? thanks
taxnano

Report the total there is no need to subdivide. As long as you report the correct amount you should be fine.

Where do we enter this information? Turbo Tax seems to not provide us with the option to enter a nanny's gross salary or deductions.

Report the total of the wages and source deductions.  CRA will call for receipts if they want to see the expenses.  Assuming you are using the online version, go to deductions, child care expenses, and child care receipt summary.
chriscom84
Returning Member

Is this considered as business? If so, do we use the "Statement of Business or Professional Activities" form(T2125)? Which line are we supposed to enter the 'gross salary plus the employer portion of EI and CPP'?
taxnano

Enter the entire amount into form T778 as child care expense. It is a business without income because you would have been issued business payroll number.  So you can enter the total amount unto line 9060. I believe the outcome will be the same.