I did renovation on my parent's rental property. All receipts under my name. House is under their name. Who claims?

Hi there!  I could use any general advice and working ideas.  Please dont give the standard "seek out an accountant" reply.  I am more than aware of that but i want to do my own research first and get some ideas of my options from you gurus.

Anyway,  I went a bit all out in 2014 and did about $90,000+ on housing renovations for my parent's rental property (it's a 3 unit house). I didn't realize i was spending so much until just today when i sat down with a calculator. So i was wondering are there any tax deductions i can apply for on my income tax return for 2014?

This property is not owned by me or anything so I don't expect i will be able to get any tax deductions at all which doesn't bother me but felt i should ask you in case i might be leaving something on the table during tax time.

Alternatively, if i am not able to get any tax benefit for myself because this rental property is not owned by me, can i apply any of these benefits to my parent's return even though it was 100% of my own money being used?  I did not gift the money beforehand so all receipts show payments made on my credit cards.  Would CRA allow these receipts to be seen as current/capital expense costs for this rental property even though the are all under my name, not my parent (who owns the property)?

Thanks for any info

Answer

Renovations were only allowed to be claimed for a tax credit a few years ago.  This is no longer eligible for the 2014 tax season.  

Was this answer helpful? Yes No

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community