Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ronv6p4e5

Spouse filed her return with Turbotax. Why is Turbotax asking me to enter all of her information again on my return? I dont want to file for her twice?

My spouse filed her return with Turbotax.  Now I am entering my information, but every second page is asking me for duplicate information about my wife that Turbotax already has (as she has filed her return).  What gives?  I dont want to file twice for her.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Spouse filed her return with Turbotax. Why is Turbotax asking me to enter all of her information again on my return? I dont want to file for her twice?

You have probably created a return that permits joint preparation of a spouse's return.
As you point out, your spouse cannot file twice in the same tax year.
So, go Tools, Return Manager, Create a New Return , but this time it must just be for yourself.
Pay careful attention right at the start as you will have to uncheck the option to do joint preparation.

Note that you still report yourself as Married and therefore you will be asked to supply your wife's identity and Net Income line 236 amount from her return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

You have probably created a return that permits joint preparation of a spouse's return.
As you point out, your spouse cannot file twice in the same tax year.
So, go Tools, Return Manager, Create a New Return , but this time it must just be for yourself.
Pay careful attention right at the start as you will have to uncheck the option to do joint preparation.

Note that you still report yourself as Married and therefore you will be asked to supply your wife's identity and Net Income line 236 amount from her return.