Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I am not married, but it wants supposal name????

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If you had a change in marital status in the year, you would still be entitled to claim certain credits even with the breakdown of the relationship. In your case, you have gone from separated to Divorced. Since TurboTax does not know how long you've been separated, it asks for the spousal information, including Income, since you could still benefit from the spousal amount, and CCTB amounts may still be calculated with both incomes in mind.

If you don't know the income info, enter an amount higher than the Spousal Benefit Max. Usually $15,000 will work. The CRA will still process your return properly, and you won't be getting any credits you shouldn't.

I hope that helps.

View solution in original post

33 Replies

If you had a change in marital status in the year, you would still be entitled to claim certain credits even with the breakdown of the relationship. In your case, you have gone from separated to Divorced. Since TurboTax does not know how long you've been separated, it asks for the spousal information, including Income, since you could still benefit from the spousal amount, and CCTB amounts may still be calculated with both incomes in mind.

If you don't know the income info, enter an amount higher than the Spousal Benefit Max. Usually $15,000 will work. The CRA will still process your return properly, and you won't be getting any credits you shouldn't.

I hope that helps.

prand2005

So you want me to lie ???

The income entered to ensure the spousal calculation is not added will not be transmitted to the CRA using NETFILE. The CRA still uses the Tax Return of the other person to determine actual income, so your return would be processed as normal, using the actual income of you ex from their tax return.

Turbotax Clint: you want me to lie ?!?!? And  fill in a spousal amout (although I clearly have no spouse) just make sure it's a high enough amount that this "glitch" doesn't calculate a  spousal amount for me?
Geez pardon me but that seems fundamentally wrong. I have never been one to lie on taxes or in census, but my own tax program and the supporters that work for it, are encouraging such?
Have to agree with other posts on here, I'm going to paper file AND TELL EVERYONE THAT ASKES ME my opinion on Turbo tax
kevinbr976
Returning Member

let's try this...I want my money refunded for the purchase of turbotax due to an error in the software which encourage us to make false statements to CRA.

I'm calling CRA to confirm this tomorrow.

Send an email to CanadaReturns@intuit.com to request a refund. Please include:

Your request for refund, including your name, address, and daytime phone number.
    Your order number, which is available on your purchase receipt.
    Your purchase receipt dated within 60 days of your refund request (keep a copy for your records).
    Reason for the return: please be specific as your comments are critical to improving our products and services.
kevinbr976
Returning Member

Where is the "skip and continue" option?

I don't care about the "potential" benefits. I never got any extra benefits while married and now it's too late.

answer is the same. There is no skip button when asked to enter the spousal information. If you follow the steps I posted above, your return will be correctly filled out.
kevinbr976
Returning Member

so, now I have my basic deduction amount and a spousal deduction amount!