Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sharon7

If my child went to a special educator for learning support due to a type of disability which affects his learning, are the expenses deductible?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
fuzzy

If my child went to a special educator for learning support due to a type of disability which affects his learning, are the expenses deductible?

They may be eligible as a medical expense if a medical practitioner certifies in writing that these services are necessary.  Canada Revenue says that eligible medical expenses include

Tutoring services that are supplementary to the primary education of a person with a learning disability or an impairment in mental functions, and paid to a person in the business of providing these services to individuals who are not related to the person. A medical practitioner must certify in writing that these services are necessary

View solution in original post

1 Reply
fuzzy

They may be eligible as a medical expense if a medical practitioner certifies in writing that these services are necessary.  Canada Revenue says that eligible medical expenses include

Tutoring services that are supplementary to the primary education of a person with a learning disability or an impairment in mental functions, and paid to a person in the business of providing these services to individuals who are not related to the person. A medical practitioner must certify in writing that these services are necessary