Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jamie11

I withdrew from RSPs in 2014. How much tax should I be paying on it?

I withdrew $7500 from my RSP in 2014.  They held back 20% tax at that time ($1500).  When i plug the numbers into turbo tax it takes an additional $1500 off of my tax return.  If I assume that withdrawl is added to the top portion of my income then I should be paying 26% tax on it.  By my math I should be paying an additional $450 not $1500.  Can someone shed some light?  

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

26% is just federal tax. If you are in ON you will have an extra amount for provincial tax and surtax . This brings you to the extra tax amount.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

26% is just federal tax. If you are in ON you will have an extra amount for provincial tax and surtax . This brings you to the extra tax amount.
Jamie11

Thanks.  I didn't realize just how deep the man had his hand in my pocket (39.41% of the way down).  Ouch.

Yes I'm afraid so, ON surtax and health premium are bummers. I got burned selfsame way with a $5k RRSP withdrawal 2 years ago....won't do that again before RIFing.

And because it was only $5k I had only paid 10% upfront tax....
Jamie11

That's a nasty surprise eh?  I'm gonna start burying gold bars in the back yard.