Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vloubens

Can I pay money for my 14 years old child to take care about 12 old child and claim the payment as child care expenses.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can I pay money for my 14 years old child to take care about 12 old child and claim the payment as child care expenses.

No, you cannot.

.15 The term eligible child care provider refers to an individual or organization providing child care services. Where the child care services are provided by an individual, the individual must be a person other than:

• the father or mother of the eligible child;
  • a supporting person of the eligible child;
  • a person in respect of whom the taxpayer or a supporting person of the eligible child has deducted a tax credit under section 118 for the year; or
  • a person who is under 18 years of age and related to the taxpayer.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

No, you cannot.

.15 The term eligible child care provider refers to an individual or organization providing child care services. Where the child care services are provided by an individual, the individual must be a person other than:

• the father or mother of the eligible child;
  • a supporting person of the eligible child;
  • a person in respect of whom the taxpayer or a supporting person of the eligible child has deducted a tax credit under section 118 for the year; or
  • a person who is under 18 years of age and related to the taxpayer.