im a permanent resident of Canada and live and work in Canada but im a us citizen how do i file taxes in the us

i need to file for 2013 and 2014 i have already filed taxes in Canada for both years but need to claim them in the us. Help me please how do we does this?


1 person found this helpful

You need to get hold of the US tax forms or a US tax package.

Be aware that some items are treated differently (eg TFSA income).  However there is a non-resident allowance of $80K, I think, which might minimize any taxes payable, and you'll also be able to offset the Canadian tax due on your income as a P.R.

You'll also have to file a FBAR report on any bank accounts to which you are a signatory.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

  1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community