Not sure what to select for the option that best describes your residency status as of December 31, 2014
I'm not sure what to enter as my residency status of 2014. I contacted the CRA and the person I spoke with wasn't sure. Here is a description of my profile
I'd like to file my taxes for last year (2014)
- I lived\worked in Montreal from Jan 1st 2014 to March 14th 2014 (less than 183 days)
- I still have ties to Canada, i.e. bank account, driver license, credit\debit card
- I do not have property in either country or stock investments - I have a fairly basic profile
- I moved to the US to be with my wife (an American Citizen)
- I also work in US, so I have "global income"
I contacted a tax accountant and he had replied as follows
"We would take the position that you are a non-resident of Canada"
I wanted to see if anyone has had experience and if entering non-resident of Canada is accurate