TurboTax botches payment of tax due

Dear Intuit,

I'm writing this post to express my dissatisfaction over your tax processing procedures.  I've used TurboTax for over 10 years.  This year has been especially frustrating.

I completed my state and local returns and e-filed bright and early on April 15th.  Unfortunately, I owed taxes, so I chose to pay them via credit card (at least I could get credit card rewards).  I transmitted my taxes and got the filing notifications.  My credit card company sent me notice of the tax payment and convenience fee.  Off I went to work that day.

Several hours later, the trouble began.  I received an e-mail and txt message that my returns were rejected due to my spouse's SSN being used to fraudulently file another return.  I checked online for similar problems, and expected to see some sort of authoritative message from Intuit on this topic (after all, I doubt I was the only taxpayer with this issue), but found none.  I ended up mailing a paper return with the IRS identity theft affidavit.  

Today, I checked, and the credit card transactions are no longer posted to my account.  I contacted Intuit, Link2Gov, and my credit card company.  Link2Gov and AMEX have told me that Intuit removed the transactions - that they were authorized but never posted.  Intuit phone support tells me nothing - they don't know why the transactions were never posted.  Nor did Intuit/TurboTax ever notify me about the electronic payment.

While I appreciate the step-by-step approach toward creating my taxes with TurboTax, the filing and payment process has been the opposite.  In my opinion, the product needs far more clarity and help for navigating filing and payment situations such as mine.

<end>

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community