special provisions for RRSP without using contribution room

I have made an RRSP contribution that is eligible for deduction without using up my available contribution room because I collapsed a 401(k) in the US, paid tax on that income, and then made a contribution to my RRSP with that money. Where do I enter this amount in your tax software. There is nothing that fits within the RRSP section. Thanks.

Answer

Enter this under "Transfers to RRSPs/PRPPs" as a Designated Transfer.

Note that you must also report the funds received from the 401(k) as income, and can claim a foreign tax credit for the amount of tax withheld by the US.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it528/it528-e.html#P211_32394

Subparagraph 60(j)(i) allows a deduction for a transfer of a superannuation or pension benefit (that is not part of a series of periodic payments) from a non-registered pension plan in a year for services rendered by an individual, or the individual's spouse or former spouse, in a period throughout which that individual, or the individual's spouse or former spouse was not resident in Canada. However, if any part of the superannuation or pension benefit is deducted under subparagraph 110(1)(f)(i) because it is exempt from tax under a tax convention or agreement with another country, that part cannot be deducted under paragraph 60(j) as a transfer to the individual's RPP or RRSP. To be eligible for a deduction under paragraph 60(j) for the transfer of the superannuation or pension benefit to the individual's RPP or RRSP, the individual has to include such a benefit in income for the year under subparagraph 56(1)(a)(i) and the transfer has to be made for the year the amount is included in the individual's income or within 60 days after the end of the year.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
js
1 additional answer

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community