I have income from various US sources from before I was a resident, do I enter gross total income or net income from my S-Corp... do I even NEED to enter a number?

I am a Canadian Citizen who grew up in the US.  I moved to Canada mid October, however this year has been incredibly turbulent and I am unsure how to declare my foreign income.  According to the CRA website, 

"
For the part of the tax year that you were NOT a resident of Canada

You have to report the following amounts:

• income from employment in Canada or from a business carried on in Canada;
  • taxable capital gains from disposing of taxable Canadian property; and
  • taxable part of scholarships, bursaries, fellowships, and research grants you received from Canadian sources.
"

That said, I really do not want and cannot afford to be penalized.  If I do need to report foreign income, my primary source is from my own S-Corp (of which I am the only employee/shareholder).  Do I need to enter the gross income or the net-income after expenses (moving, travel, etc)?  My gross Income and the actual net income I brought home are VASTLY different.

Answer

1 person found this helpful

You will only need to claim income on the Canadian return for income that you have made while a resident in Canada.  Use your Date of Entry for this distinction.  Any income made since residing in Canada must be claimed.  

In your case you will only be required to enter income you earned from October until December's end.  This will include all income sources, both Canadian and World Wide.  If you have income in a foreign currency it will need to be converted to Canadian currency and reported as such.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community