Open TurboTax

Why sign in to the Community?

• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sosman

Student at UT. entered T5 total of $14000 and it showed a refund of approx. $550. when I entered T2202A tuitions for $21400.00 the refund turned in $0. Why?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
naztax

Student at UT. entered T5 total of $14000 and it showed a refund of approx. $550. when I entered T2202A tuitions for $21400.00 the refund turned in $0. Why?

Hi there - I believe you might mean that you entered a T4 for $14K and it showed a refund of $550. TurboTax would automatically begin calculating the Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB) for your return, which is how you saw the refund. When you entered the T2202A - which means you are a student, that removed the WITB as students are not eligible for that benefit. Here is some more information on the WITB off the CRA site: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/wtb/menu-eng.html 

If you need more help, since you are on TurboTax 20 Returns, you can also contact a Live Tax Advice agent for free if you have more questions.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
naztax

Hi there - I believe you might mean that you entered a T4 for $14K and it showed a refund of $550. TurboTax would automatically begin calculating the Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB) for your return, which is how you saw the refund. When you entered the T2202A - which means you are a student, that removed the WITB as students are not eligible for that benefit. Here is some more information on the WITB off the CRA site: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/wtb/menu-eng.html 

If you need more help, since you are on TurboTax 20 Returns, you can also contact a Live Tax Advice agent for free if you have more questions.

This is more of a follow-up than an answer: What if someone was a student part of the year and worked for another part of the year? It doesn't make sense that you can only identify oneself as just one, does it?