Can I claim the bridge toll charges for my to go to work?

I am a full time employee and has to pass a toll bridge to get to work everyday. I have T2200 from my employer to reimburse my automobile expenses occurred during the work, but not the bridge toll charges. Can I claim the bridge toll charges? Can I claim the automobile expense occurred for my commuting?

Answer

The CRA considers travel between home and office to be personal use of your automobile. So you cannot claim the bridge toll charges or any other auto expenses related to your commute from home to office.

From the CRA website:

You can deduct your motor vehicle expenses if you meet all of the following conditions:

• You were normally required to work away from your employer's place of business or in different places.
  • Under your contract of employment, you had to pay your own motor vehicle expenses.
  • You did not receive a non-taxable allowance for motor vehicle expenses. Generally, an allowance is non-taxable when it is based solely on a reasonable per-kilometre rate.
  • You keep with your records a copy of Form T2200, Declaration of Conditions of Employment, which has been completed and signed by your employer.

The types of expenses you can deduct include:

Sometimes, your employer will include an unreasonably low allowance as income on yourT4 slip even though you do not want to claim any expenses. When this happens, have your employer complete and sign Form T2200, or get a letter from your employer stating that the allowance was unreasonably low. On line 229, deduct as an expense an amount equal to the allowance.

If you use a motor vehicle for both employment and personal use, you can deduct only the percentage of expenses related to earning income. To support the amount you can deduct, keep a record of both the total kilometres you drove and the kilometres you drove to earn employment income. We consider driving back and forth between home and work as personal use.

If you use more than one motor vehicle to earn employment income, calculate each vehicle's expenses separately.

For more information, see Interpretation Bulletin IT522, Vehicle, Travel and Sales Expenses of Employees.

For more information about allowable motor vehicle expenses, see Motor vehicle expenses.

Was this answer helpful? Yes No
Default user avatars original
Employee

No answers have been posted

More Actions

People come to TurboTax AnswerXchange for help and answers—we want to let them know that we're here to listen and share our knowledge. We do that with the style and format of our responses. Here are five guidelines:

1. Keep it conversational. When answering questions, write like you speak. Imagine you're explaining something to a trusted friend, using simple, everyday language. Avoid jargon and technical terms when possible. When no other word will do, explain technical terms in plain English.
  2. Be clear and state the answer right up front. Ask yourself what specific information the person really needs and then provide it. Stick to the topic and avoid unnecessary details. Break information down into a numbered or bulleted list and highlight the most important details in bold.
  3. Be concise. Aim for no more than two short sentences in a paragraph, and try to keep paragraphs to two lines. A wall of text can look intimidating and many won't read it, so break it up. It's okay to link to other resources for more details, but avoid giving answers that contain little more than a link.
  4. Be a good listener. When people post very general questions, take a second to try to understand what they're really looking for. Then, provide a response that guides them to the best possible outcome.
  5. Be encouraging and positive. Look for ways to eliminate uncertainty by anticipating people's concerns. Make it apparent that we really like helping them achieve positive outcomes.

Select a file to attach:

Do you still have a question?

Ask your question to the community. Most questions get a response in about a day.

Post your question to the community