How do I override the optimization to claim medical expenses on my and my spouse's tax returns?
For tax year 2018 to claim medical expenses, your expenses must total more than 3% of your net income, or $2,302, whichever is less. By combining all your medical expenses on one return, you are more likely to reach that 3% mark.
It’s usually most beneficial for the lower income earner to claim all the medical expenses, as the 3% threshold will be lower. TurboTax is designed to optimize your medical expense claim and claims them on one return. There is no limit on the total amount of medical expenses you can claim in a year.
In TurboTax online editions
There is no way to override the medical expense optimization in TurboTax online editions. If you want to split medical expenses between you and your spouse/partner, you need to prepare your returns separately.
In TurboTax CD/download editions
You will need to override the amounts on line 330 of your schedule 1 forms:
- Select the Forms button in the menu up top to enter Forms mode.
- In the bottom-left, select the Forms tab and choose Schedule 1.
- Navigate to line 330 and place your cursor in the field.
- Press F2 to override the calculated amount and type the amount you want to enter.
Repeat steps 2-4 on your spouse’s return.
- How does my income affect how much I can deduct for medical expenses?
- Where do I enter my medical expenses?
- How do I choose a claim period for medical expenses?
- What medical expenses can I claim?