TurboTax HelpTurboTax HelpIntuit

How do I claim the amount for full-time post-secondary studies (RL-8)?

SOLVEDby TurboTax32Updated 3 days ago

The steps for claiming the amounts on an RL-8 slip vary depending on whether you're a student claiming this amount on your own return, or are transferring these amounts over from a dependant. Make sure to select your proper status and current version of TurboTax from the list provided below for more detailed instructions.

Note: TurboTax automatically calculates the maximum amount you can claim and subtracts it from your tax balance owing.

1. Select Find (magnifying glass), enter claims for dependants into the search field, then select it from the list of populated results and click Go.
  2. On the Claims for Dependants step, select Yes to Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?, then select Continue.
  3. On the Your children and other dependants step, select Enter Credit Info next to the dependant transferring their amount to you.
  4. On the Claim Dependant Credits step, select Transfer my child’s tuition and education amounts, then select Continue.
  5. On the Tuition Transfer Amount step, enter the information from your dependant’s tax return in the space provided.
  6. Select Tuition Transfer.
  7. On the Tuition Transfer Amount step, enter the amount of federal tuition your dependant is transferring to you, then select Continue.
  1. Select Find and enter dependants into the search field.
  2. Select Claims for dependents from the options that appear, then select Go.
  3. On the Claims for dependants step, select Yes to Would you like to review or claim any of these credits?, then select Continue.
  4. On the Dependant credits step, select the dependant transferring their amount to you, then select Enter Dependant Credits.
  5. On the Claim Dependant Credits step, select Transfer my child’s tuition and education amounts, then select Continue.
  6. On the Tuition Transfer Amount step, enter the information from your dependant’s T2202A, Schedule S, Schedule T, and Relevé 8, then select Continue.
  7. On the Dependant credits step, select Done Entering Credits.

More like this

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads