Why am I not eligible to file my tax return using NETFILE?
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has some restrictions regarding who can use the NETFILE service. You cannot use NETFILE if:
- Your social insurance number or individual tax number begins with 09
- You went bankrupt during the tax year or the year before (that does not include a proposal for bankruptcy)
- You were not a resident of Canada during the tax year
- Your address is outside of Canada
You can see the complete list of NETFILE restrictions on the CRA’s site.
If one of CRA’s restrictions applies to you, TurboTax will let you know when you try to file your return. In this case, print and mail your return to the CRA.
- Printing instructions for the online edition of TurboTax
- Printing instructions for the CD/download edition of TurboTax
Note: If none of CRA’s restrictions applies to you and you’re being prevented from using NETFILE, it could be that the service is down or unavailable. Check NETFILE’s availability and try filing again when the service is available.
- Where do I mail my federal tax return?
- Why is NETFILE disabled?
- Can I submit a previous year's tax return using NETFILE?
- In the online edition of TurboTax, how do I submit my tax return to CRA using the NETFILE service?
- In the CD/download edition of TurboTax, how do I submit my tax return to CRA using the NETFILE service?