TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
4 people found this useful

Amount for an eligible dependant, or equivalent to spouse: Claim only part of the year

If you are eligible to claim this amount at any time in the year, you can claim it for the full year. You cannot split this amount with another person for the same dependant (for example, if you share custody of a child). Once you claim this amount for a dependant, no one else can claim this amount, or an amount on line 306 for that dependant.

This credit is claimed instead of the spousal amount. You cannot claim both the eligible dependant and the spouse or common-law partner amount.

You can claim this amount if you met all the following conditions at the same time:

  • you were not living with, supporting, or being supported by a spouse or common-law partner;
  • you supported a dependant;
  • you lived with the dependant (in most cases in Canada) in a home that you maintained. You cannot claim this amount for a person who was only visiting you.

In addition, at the time you met the above conditions, the dependant also must have been either:

  • your parent or grandparent by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption; or
  • your child, grandchild, brother, or sister by blood, marriage, common-law partnership, or adoption and either under 18, or mentally or physically infirm.

You cannot claim this amount if any of the following applies:

  • You are claiming a spouse or common-law partner amount;
  • The person for whom you want to claim this amount is your common-law partner;
  • Someone else in your household is making this claim. Each household is allowed only one claim for this amount, even if there is more than one dependant in the household;
  • The claim is for a child for whom you were required to make support payments for during the year.