If you’re using the CD/Download version of TurboTax, you can add your spouse’s return or create a coupled return at any time while you’re preparing your own. However, when using TurboTax Online, you’ll need to indicate in the beginning that you want to prepare a coupled return before starting the return process.
Adding your spouse's return into TurboTax
- Log in to TurboTax Online and select Start a new return.
- Select the TurboTax Online product you wish to use, then select Continue.
- Follow the prompts to enter your personal information. At Marital status, select Married or Living common-law.
- When asked Do you want to prepare your returns together?, select Yes.
- Follow the prompts to enter information for you and your spouse.
- The easiest way to enter this information is to enter Forms mode, located in the top toolbar.
- Open the View menu, then select Personal information.
- Check the box for Process spouse’s return as well, even if you are living as common-law.
- Follow the on-screen prompts to enter your spouse's personal information, then select Ok.
How do my spouse and I know what our combined net income is?
How do I split my pension income with my spouse?
Is it better to file my return together or separately?