I’m using the same computer as last year. How do I transfer information (for example, carry-forward amounts) from my previous tax return into the current version of TurboTax CD/download edition?
If you filed last year’s tax return using either TurboTax CD/download edition or UFile for Windows, you can automatically transfer your information into this year using the current version of the CD/download edition of TurboTax Standard, Premier, or Home & Business. You cannot transfer information using TurboTax Basic because it does not include the transfer capability.
TurboTax requires the tax data file from last year to transfer your information. Depending on which product you used, the tax data file has the following file extension:
Tax data file extension
TurboTax CD/download edition (Basic, Standard, Premier, Home & Business)
UFile for Windows, UFile PRO
Prerequisite: Ensure that TurboTax can find your tax data files from last year
If your tax data files are located in the Documents folder
By default, TurboTax and UFile saves tax data files in the Documents folder on your computer. If you chose the Documents folder to save your tax return last year, there is no need take any extra steps to locate your tax data files. After you install and open the current version of TurboTax, it automatically finds your tax data files from last year and presents them on the Welcome screen.
For example, John Doe and Jennifer Doe used TurboTax CD/download edition last year on their family’s shared computer, but John’s father-in-law Bob Brown installed UFile for Windows on the same computer to do his taxes. This year, when they installed the current version of TurboTax on the same computer and opened it, they noticed that TurboTax automatically located the tax data files from last year, as shown in the image below:
If your tax data files are located elsewhere in your computer or in another drive
You might have saved your tax return in a different location, for example, in your computer's Desktop or in another internal or external drive, instead of your Documents folder. Complete the following steps to move your tax data file to the Documents folder so that TurboTax can find them automatically:
Before you begin: If you tax data file is on an external drive such as an USB Flash drive, connect the drive to your computer before proceeding.
- Press and hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then press E.
- At the top right corner, in the search box, do the following:
- If you used TurboTax last year, type *.tt14
- If you used UFile last year, type *.u14
- If you used TurboTax last year, type *.tt14
- From the search results, choose the tax data file you want to transfer information from and do the following:
- Click to select the file and then right-click. A menu appears.
- From the menu, select Send to > Documents.
The following windows opens.
The computer searches for your tax data files and displays them in the window.
For example, let’s say John and Jennifer used TurboTax last year and saved their tax return in drive E. When John types *.tt14 in the search box, the following results appears:
The file is copied to your Documents folder.
In our example, John selects his tax data file and then chooses Send to > Documents from the right-click menu.
Transfer information from your last year's tax return into current year's tax return
- Open TurboTax 2015.
- On the Welcome screen, under the Transfer a 2014 Return section, click to select the tax return from which you want to transfer information from.
- While the tax return is selected, click Transfer.
- In the Select Your Method of Preparation window, choose EasyStep (this is the recommended method).
- In the TurboTax – Personal Information window, review the information carefully to ensure that the information is accurate and up to date. For example, if your marital status has changed or you moved to a new province, update the information on this screen to reflect the changes and then click OK.
- In the Data transferred from last year summary window, review the data and click Continue.
- On the Let’s do your taxes page, review the instructions and click Continue.
TurboTax detects the tax returns from last year and lists them on the Welcome screen.
In our example, John’s sees the following screen:
In our example, John selects his tax return as follows:
The Select Your Method of Preparation window appears.
The TurboTax – Personal Information window appears and displays the personal information that TurboTax transferred from last year's tax return.
In our example, John sees the following screen with his personal information from last year.
After you click OK, a windows appears showing a summary of the data transferred from last year.
The first page of the EasyStep process titled Let’s do your taxes appears.
The Features to help you along the way page appears. Follow the instruction on the screen to complete your tax return.
After transferring information from your last year's tax return into this year, complete the following steps if you want to work on your tax return later
It is a good idea to save your tax data file so that the information you transferred is saved and you don’t have to repeat the process again in case the computer crashes or loses power. In our example, let’s say that John wants to save his tax data file at this point and continue working on it later. He completes the following steps:
- After you complete transferring your information from last year, on the next screen, from the menu bar at the top of the TurboTax screen, select File > Save.
- In the Save As dialog box, choose Save.
- To close TurboTax, from the menu bar at the top of the TurboTax screen, choose File > Exit.
The Save As dialog box appears.
By default, the tax data file is saved in the C:\Users\<UserName>\Documents\TurboTax\2015 folder. Here UserName is your account username on your computer.
Resume working on your tax return
Let’s say John left his tax return incomplete at the Features to help you along the way page and closed TurboTax after saving his tax data. When he returns to TurboTax, the Welcome screen still shows last year’s tax data file under Transfer a 2014 Return section.
- To start where you left off, on the Welcome screen, select Open.
- On the Open dialog box, select the tax data file and click Open.
- Follow the instruction on the screen to complete your tax return.
The Open dialog box appears.
TurboTax brings you back to the page where you were before you closed TurboTax.
In our example, John is brought back to the Features to help you along the way page.