TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
14 people found this useful

In TurboTax CD/Download, how do I transfer my information (carry forward amounts etc.) from my previous year's tax return?

Important:

• Transfer from TurboTax online editions to TurboTax CD/Download editions is not supported.
  • Transfer from any edition into a TurboTax Free edition is not supported.

Once you’ve installed and opened TurboTax CD/download for the current tax year, TurboTax should automatically locate your tax data files from last year for you and show them to you on the Welcome screen.

1. Install and open TurboTax for the current tax year.
  2. Select Transfer into a new 2018 return beside the return from last year you’d like to transfer from.

If TurboTax CD/Download doesn’t find your returns from last year, you might have saved your tax data file at a different location. To find them on your machine, search for them by their file extension.

All TurboTax CD/Download files are *.TT<tax_year>. For example, if you’re looking for your tax year 2017 files, search for *.TT17.

Additional notes:

• Selective (or partial) transfer of info from the prior year is not supported
  • You can edit or delete any info that transfers; edit it the same way you would if you had entered it manually
  • You can only transfer from the prior year when you start a new return for the current year; You can’t transfer into a current year return you’ve already started

Related Information

HOW14604
p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L9ixGwktE_CA_en_CA