How do I update TurboTax if I have the CD/download edition?
Updates to TurboTax does not turn previous year's version of TurboTax to the current tax year. Learn what TurboTax updates are and why you should perform updates.
If your computer is connected to the Internet, TurboTax automatically checks for updates. If an update is available, TurboTax asks you if you want to install it.
For prior tax years (2014 or earlier), TurboTax does not automatically check for updates. Instead, it prompts you if you want to check for updates.
To ensure that you have the latest tax information and product updates, we strongly recommend that you check for updates to TurboTax before preparing and filing tax returns.
To check for TurboTax updates, do the following:
- Ensure that TurboTax is open and your computer is connected to the Internet.
- On the Help menu, select Check for Updates.
- Based on whether an update is available, do one of the following:
- If no update is available, choose OK to close the dialog box.
- If an update is available, choose Yes and complete the instructions on the screen to automatically update your product.
A dialog box appears to inform you if an update is available.
If your TurboTax is not starting, or you are having problems with updating TurboTax using the above instructions, you can download a file that includes the updates and use it to manually update your product.
Note: If you want to complete tax returns for multiple tax years, you will need to install separate copies of TurboTax for each of the required tax years.