TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
719 people found this useful

How do I update TurboTax if I have the CD/download edition?

If your computer is connected to the Internet, TurboTax automatically checks for updates (unless you’re using TurboTax 2014 or earlier). If an update is available, TurboTax will ask if you want to install it.

To check whether an update is available for TurboTax, follow the instructions below.

Before you begin

Make sure your computer is connected to the Internet.

Instructions for updating TurboTax from the Help menu

1. Open TurboTax on your computer.

2. Select Help in the upper-left area of TurboTax.

3. Select Check for Updates.

A window opens with a message.

4. Follow the instructions below, depending on what the message says.

• If the message says no update is available and TurboTax is up to date, select OK.
  • If the message says an update is available, follow the instructions to update TurboTax.

Instructions for downloading a TurboTax update from our website

If updating TurboTax from the Help menu doesn’t work, try downloading an update directly from our website.

1. Download a TurboTax update (click here: link) directly from our website.
  2. Open the update file.

A message appears showing that TurboTax is updating automatically.

Instructions for removing and re-installing TurboTax

If updating TurboTax from the Help menu and downloading an update don’t work, we recommend uninstalling TurboTax and then downloading the latest version from our website. Don't worry—this won’t delete any tax returns that you’ve saved.

To remove TurboTax and then download the most up-to-date version, follow the instructions below.

1. Follow these instructions to uninstall TurboTax (click here: link).
  2. Restart your computer.
  3. Visit this webpage (click here: link) and download the TurboTax product that you’re using.
  4. Open TurboTax when it has downloaded onto your computer.
  5. Follow the on-screen instructions to install TurboTax.

To complete the installation, you’ll need to enter the installation key you received when you purchased TurboTax.

Note: These instructions are for the TurboTax CD/download edition. You do not need to update the TurboTax online edition.

Related information

HOW14533
p_cg_tto_us_lc_na_question:L7I78aqCm_CAN_en_CA