What is the Ontario Trillium Benefit (OTB) and who can claim it?
The Ontario Trillium Benefit
Effective July 2012, payments of the Ontario Sales Tax Credit, Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit (OEPTC), and Northern Ontario Energy Credit will be combined into a single benefit payment called the Ontario Trillium Benefit and delivered on a monthly basis.
Note: It's important to know that the 2011 Ontario Provincial return will no longer show a credit received for Rent/Property Tax paid. The Ontario Trillium Benefit will be paid out monthly if applicable. If your tax refund is less than in prior years, with all other things being equal, the Lack of the Sales/Property Tax Credit is likely the reason.
More information on the Trillium Benefit is available at http://www.rev.gov.on.ca/en/credit/otb/index.html?locale=en-ca&view=GBD_TURBOTAX
Claim the Trillium Benefit - EasyStep Interview and TurboTax Online
It's important to know that the Ontario Provincial return will no longer show a credit received for Rent/Property Tax paid. The OEPTC is now sent, as part of the new Trillium Benefit, to qualifying individuals on a monthly basis.
To apply for the OEPTC as part of the Trillium Benefit, do the following steps:
- Click the Provincial Tab.
- Click Continue.The Provincial Profile for "YEAR" screen will open.
- Place a check in the box beside the following lines:
- 'Ontario Rent and Property Tax payments (qualifies for Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit and Northern Ontario Energy Credit)'.
- 'Apply for the (YEAR) Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit and Northern Ontario Energy Credit.
- Click Continue
- On the 'Ontario Property Tax and Rental Credit' screen, enter your property information, including address, rent/property tax paid, etc. Click Continue when finished.
- On the 'Apply for (YEAR) Ontario Energy Credits' screen, choose the credit(s) you are applying for by selecting the name of the taxpayer applying for the credit. Once finished, click 'Continue'.
Trillium Benefit Eligibility
You must be eligible for at least one of the following Provincial credits to be eligible for the Ontario Trillium Benefit. Click the Credit you wish to view eligibility requirements for:
- Ontario Sales Tax Credit (OSTC)
- Ontario Energy and Property Tax Credit (OEPTC)
- Northern Ontario Energy Credit (NOEC)