TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
64 people found this useful

Where do I claim my school textbooks?

For 2017 and later tax years:

The federal education and textbook amounts have been eliminated. However, if you have unused federal education and textbook amounts from prior years, you can still carry them forward to your 2017 and future returns. Some provinces have maintained the credits, while others have eliminated them (See Can I claim both federal and provincial tuition and education amounts?).

For tax year 2016 and earlier:

TurboTax automatically claims the textbook credit for you when you enter your T2202, T2202A, TL11, or tuition receipt information. Enter this information in the DEDUCTIONS > Students step of TurboTax (See How do I claim my tuition fees?).

The education and textbook credit is based on the number of full-time months and part-time months you were in school, as shown on your T2202, T2202A, TL11, or tuition receipt, rather than the actual amount you spent on textbooks. Therefore, you don’t need to enter how much you spent on textbooks in order to claim the credit.

Each month you were a student is counted only once, even if you were enrolled in two programs that month.

If you were enrolled full-time, the education amount was $400/month and the textbook amount was $65/month. If you were enrolled part-time, the education amount was $120/month and the textbook amount was $20/month.

Related Information

HOW14611