What is NETFILE?
NETFILE is the Canada Revenue Agency’s (CRA) service for submitting your federal tax return online (instead of printing and filing by mail). The service is only available through NETFILE-certified software such as TurboTax.
All TurboTax editions include the option to file your federal tax return using NETFILE. If you want to submit your return online, you can choose the NETFILE option and TurboTax will submit your return to the Canada Revenue Agency for you.
Benefits of using NETFILE
- Secure and confidential
- Immediate confirmation that the CRA has received your tax return
- Faster refunds (with direct deposit, refunds usually arrive in as little as eight business days)
- Greater accuracy (CRA does not have to re-key information from a paper copy, so there is a smaller chance of errors)
- You don’t need to send in your receipts when you file; only send receipts by mail if CRA asks for the receipts later
NETFILE is not for everyone, and it is not for all tax situations.
You cannot use NETFILE if:
- Your social insurance number (SIN) or individual tax number (ITN) starts with 09
- You are a non-resident or emigrant of Canada
- Your address is outside Canada
- You filed for bankruptcy in the current or previous calendar year (does not include a proposal for bankruptcy)
For a comprehensive list of NETFILE restrictions, please review the CRA resource on NETFILE eligibility.
- When is NETFILE available?
- In the online edition of TurboTax, how do I submit my tax return to CRA using the NETFILE service?
- In the CD/download edition of TurboTax, how do I submit my tax return to CRA using the NETFILE service?