TurboTax FAQ
TurboTax FAQ
133 people found this useful

What do I do if I don’t know my spouse’s income?

When you don’t know your spouse’s income and can’t find out through reasonable means, the CRA recommends that you enter your best estimate.

The CRA will hold your return and that of your spouse so they can be assessed together, to ensure that credits and deductions were correctly applied between you. Any mismatches or inaccuracies between your returns will result in a reassessment, so it’s prudent to save your tax refund (if any) until you receive your Notice of Assessment (or re-assessment) in case it must be repaid.

If you don’t enter your spouse’s income (or an estimate), it’s important that you not claim the Spousal Amount.

To not claim the Spousal Amount:

In CD/download editions of TurboTax

1. From the menu on the left, select Name, Info about your spouse or partner*
  2. On the Information about your spouse or common-law partner page, check the box Check this box if you don’t know your spouse or common-law partner’s net income
  3. Then, answer no to the question Do you want TurboTax to calculate whether you are eligible for a full or partial spousal amount credit?

* If your marital status changed during the year, select Martial status changes from the menu instead, and follow the steps until you reach the page described in step 2.

In online editions of TurboTax

1. In the Personal Information section, enter $15,000 in the field Net income from spouse’s federal return.

Entering this amount won’t affect the outcome of your return; it simply makes you ineligible for the Spousal Amount.

Note: Whether you enter an amount for your spouse’s income or not, you should complete the rest of the information on your spouse to the best of your ability, especially if you have dependants. The CRA relies on this information to ensure that both you and your spouse are compliant in claiming dependant credits.

Related Information

HOW14551